Old Republic Title has an excellent opportunity available for an Underwriting Counsel position for our South Central Division. The Division is comprised of Nebraska, Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana and a direct operation in St. Louis. This role will assist with underwriting questions, light claims, policy approvals, and indemnity requests.
- Assist agents and direct operations in underwriting matters by responding to telephone, faxed and electronic inquires on particular transactions and by giving advice and direction on general underwriting matters.
- Approve indemnity letters, reinsurance letters, and excess risk transactions as appropriate.
- Research and prepare papers as topics for continuing legal education for real estate attorneys, agents and direct operation personnel as well as continuing educations for real estate agents.
- Organize and present seminars for agents and direct operations, attorneys and real estate agents. Review documents and instruments for legal sufficiency in connection with specific transactions. Coordinate and assist in closing complex transactions as necessary.
- Assist agency operations and direct operations in developing, cultivating and maintaining business relationships, including legal and underwriting instruction.
- Research and prepare bulletins and or educational courses on statutory changes affecting title insurance.
- Monitor legislative activity and advise agents, direct operations and regional staff of legislation that will affect their operation.
- Monitor state regulatory changes and requirements, attend various regulatory hearings and advise agents, direct operations and regional staff of changes.
- Review new policy and endorsement forms and advise agents, fee attorneys and direct operations of underwriting guidelines for issuance.
- At a minimum, the ability to work from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Regular consistent attendance is required, that could include attendance at after hour Company events.
- Ability to accept supervision.
- Ability to foster, develop and maintain professional and collaborative working relationships. Must be able to get along with others, i.e., peers, supervisors, outside customers, and vendors.
- Ability to interact effectively and professionally with all levels of management, employees and customers by email, phone and in person.
- Must be personable, positive, and a professional representative of the Company. Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Must have a law degree with courses taken in property law, probate and trust and family law. Must be admitted to the State Bar
- Must have experience in the title industry in order to recognize potential problems and perform adequate risk assessment.
- Must have the ability to read, analyze and interpret complex documents.
- Must have the ability to apply logic or legal principles to a wide variety of complex problems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Outlook.
- Overnight business travel by air and/or automobile, is required on occasion.
- Valid driver's license and auto insurance is required.
- Ability to work with confidential information. Ability to perform under pressure and be flexible with disruptions throughout the workday
- Ability to perform under pressure and be flexible with disruptions throughout the workday.
- Repetitive and continual typing motion is required.
- Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting a majority of the time. Walking and standing are required, occasionally.
- 3 - 5 years
We offer a competitive salary, and excellent benefit package including health, life and disability insurance; paid time off; and retirement plans. To apply, email resume in a pdf format, along with salary requirements to:
Note: If you currently are employed by Old Republic Title (or one of its wholly owned affiliated companies) please contact your human resources representative regarding the application process.