Old Republic Title has an excellent opportunity available for an Associate Regulatory Counsel in our Tampa, FL office. Responsible for providing legal counsel in matters relating to compliance with state and federal statutes and regulations, as well as other legal duties as needed. TO APPLY, please click HERE to head to our new Careers page.
- Regulatory/Compliance. Gives legal advice and support to management and employees from all areas of the Company. Assists General Counsel, Deputy General Counsel, Chief Regulatory Counsel and management with legal and corporate projects, as needed. Answers regulatory inquiries and helps prepare responses to requests from state regulators on examinations and on other matters. Assists agents with various inquiries.
- Filing of forms and rates for ORNTIC and AGTIC. Oversees filing of rates after securing management approval, as well as maintenance of rate manuals. Develops, proofs and grants final approval of forms. Implements systems to ensure necessary people are advised of new forms and new rates. In addition, fields questions daily from people in our state offices (and national agents) regarding our current forms and rates and the status of pending filings.
- Co-edits the "Government Affairs Quarterly," which involves researching and analyzing state legislation, regulations and recent cases and writing concise descriptions of same.
- Supervising Corporate Legal paralegal(s) - Assigning projects, explaining issues involved (which are often new to them), reviewing work product, and prioritizing projects so they can focus on the most pressing matters first.
- Handling the department's subscriptions - choosing materials, paying bills, recommending elimination of materials no longer needed, etc. Also, liaison with ORI for our Westlaw subscription.
- Establishing relationships with state regulators during conferences (NAIC, AICP).
- Presenting at our yearly Legal Seminar and at agent seminars.
- Preparing fraud and disaster reports for several states on an annual basis.
- Performing other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- At a minimum, the ability to work from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday (or such comparable hours as agreed to by supervisor).
- Regular consistent attendance is required, that could include attendance at after hour Company events.
- Ability to accept supervision.
- Ability to foster, develop and maintain professional and collaborative working relationships. Must be able to get along with others, i.e., peers, supervisors, outside customers, and vendors.
- Ability to interact effectively and professionally with all levels of management, employees and customers by email, phone and in person.
- Must be personable, positive, and a professional representative of the Company.
- Minimum one year insurance regulatory experience or title insurance experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Outlook.
- Law degree from an ABA-accredited law school and member of at least one state Bar.
- Overnight business travel by air and/or automobile may be required at times.
- Ability to work with and protect confidential information.
- Ability to perform under pressure and be flexible with disruptions throughout the workday.
- Repetitive and continual typing motion is required.
- Sedentary work: Exerting up to 30 pounds of force occasionally, and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting a majority of the time. Walking and standing are required, occasionally.
- 1 - 3 years
The above statements reflect the principal function and most significant duties of the job, and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that are inherent in the job.
Not confidential. Salary commensurate with experience.
We offer a competitive salary, and excellent benefit package including health, life and disability insurance; paid time off; and retirement plans. TO APPLY, please click HERE to head to our new Careers page.
Note: If you currently are employed by Old Republic Title (or one of its wholly owned affiliated companies) please contact your human resources representative regarding the application process.