RESIDENT TITLE INSURANCE AGENCY REQUIREMENTS
State Licensing Requirements
Old Republic Title Application
Summary of Requirements
- The first step in the process of becoming a Pennsylvania Title Insurance
Agent is to Register Your Company with the Commonwealth
- Note - your company name cannot include the word, "title", "title company", "title insurance company", "guaranty", "guarantee", "guaranty company", "guarantee company" or similar combination thereof
- If your current company name contains any of those words, you must Register for a Fictitious Name with the state.
- You can register your company or fictitious name online -
- Each agency must be licensed with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and within each agency you must have at least one licensed individual.
- Even if you are licensed in another state, the individual must take the licensing exam.
- There are no pre-licensing education credits needed to sit for the exam.
- Click here to view the continuing education credit requirements
- Each agency must meet the proper E&O coverage along with a Surety Bond and a Fidelity Bond. (see below
insurance section for details) If the agency's owners are the only people to handle the funds, the Fidelity Bond can be waived with the completion of the appropriate waiver form.
The Fidelity Bond Waiver must be submitted to the Insurance Department
either via fax (717) 787-8553, email
email@example.com, or US Mail - 1209 Strawberry Square, Harrisburg,
- Each agent must complete 24 continuing education requirements within a 2 year license period to maintain their license.
- An attorney can complete a continuing education waiver form and, therefore, only be responsible for completing 3 continuing education insurance hours each two year license period.
The Licensing Process
APPLY FOR AGENCY LICENSE:
To apply for your Agency License online
click here. The cost is $55 and you will need your registration number given to you by
the Commonwealth when you registered your agency to do business in PA.
APPLY FOR INDIVIDUAL LICENSE ONLINE:
- The easiest way to apply for your individual license is online at the
testing location. It is strongly recommended that you bring a credit card
with you (Visa, MasterCard or American Express) since you will be able to
apply for your license at the testing center through Sircon once you pass
- Once you have passed your exam, (Exam Information) you are now eligible to
apply for your producer license. You need to apply electronically through Sircon at
as the Insurance Department no longer accepts paper applications. You will be given the opportunity to submit an electronic
application at the testing center. During the electronic application
process, you will also pay the fingerprinting fee which will enable you to
submit your fingerprints before leaving the exam testing center.
for fee information.
Exam & Study Information
In order to become a title agent in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, you
need to take an exam and score a 70% or higher. The examination contains 60
questions and is limited to one hour. For an outline of the exam topics,
To register to take the examination,
Thomson Prometric manages the examination process and has seven testing
locations throughout the state of Pennsylvania, but also has national
testing locations; therefore making it possible for you to take the PA exam
in another state. For addresses, phone numbers and directions to PA
It is also strongly recommended that you bring a credit card with you (Visa,
MasterCard or American Express) since you will be able to apply for your
license at the testing center through Sircon once you pass your exam.
Once you have passed your exam, you are now eligible to apply for your
producer license. You should apply electronically through Sircon to expedite
the licensing process. You will be given the opportunity to submit an
electronic application at the testing center. During the electronic
application process, you will also pay the fingerprinting fee which will
enable you to submit your fingerprints before leaving the exam testing
Testing Center Locations
here for a complete list:
- Choose Pennsylvania Insurance
USA and Pennsylvania
- Click on "Locate a Test Center"
- Choose "Agents Title Insurance"
- Enter your zip code and click next to retrieve a list of locations
There are two resources for exam study materials
- The Cape School offers an online interactive self-study course for
$249. To order, call 888-227-3331.
Pennsylvania Land Title Institute
offers a comprehensive study guide to taking the Pennsylvania
title agent licensing exam.
- The PLTA Guidelines Course covers:
- Insurance regulation
- General insurance concepts
- Real Property principles
- Title insurance principles
- Title exceptions and procedures for clearing the title
- Real estate transactions
- Additional Materials
- Examination procedure check list
- Full copy of the Pennsylvania Title Insurance Code
- Full copies of the ALTA Owner's and Loan Policies of October 17, 1992
- Guidelines are Reviewed Annually
- Many areas of the law influence title practices and procedures, and changes
within these laws will often modify practices. Additionally, the test
outlines are periodically subject to revision by the Department of
Insurance. Therefore, PLTI pays meticulous attention to the material in this
course so that the prospective land title insurance agent has the most
up-to-date information available to study for the licensing exam.
9 CE CREDITS AVAILABLE
- Upon passing the agent's licensing test, the newly licensed agent may apply
to PLTI to obtain the first of the continuing education credits needed to
maintain his or her license.
- For a deeper understanding of the concepts in the Guidelines, also taking
PLTI's Home Study Course, Fundamentals of Pennsylvania Real Estate and Land
Title Insurance Practices, will give a prospective title agent a thorough
preparation for the test plus a solid foundation in title insurance
practices to build a career upon. Each section of the Home Study course is
worth 15 CE credits. PLTI is offering a special package plan for both
- For additional information on obtaining these Guidelines, contact the
PLTA/PLTI at firstname.lastname@example.org, call (610) 265-5980 or visit their website at
- Examination Fee = $44
- Resident insurance producer application fee = $55 (each application for
individual and agency is $55)
- Fingerprinting processing fee = $39 ($24 for the FBI and $15 for the PA
- Live Scan fingerprinting service fee = $20
- Sircon application service fees = approximately $12.50
When applying for your title agency producer's license you need to provide
proof to the underwriter and to the state of the following insurances:
- Errors & Omissions Policy - $250,000/$500,000 with a deductible no larger
- Blanket Fidelity Bond - at least $150,000 to protect against theft by
- Surety Bond - at least $100,000 to protect against theft by officers,
directors, partners or other owners
- The Title Industry Assurance Company is a member-owned, ALTA-endorsed
insurance provider designed to bring stability to a market long
characterized by dramatic swings in price and availability. TIAC offers
affordability that will be there for you now and in the future. For more
information or to receive a rate-quote, please send an e-mail to
email@example.com or call 1-800-628-5136 or 301-913-5900 or visit
contact our office with any questions you may have regarding the