Old Republic National Title Insurance Company, one of the nation's largest title insurers, has an excellent opportunity available for a Tax Manager in our downtown Minneapolis, MN office.
Responsible for all corporate tax related functions, including: corporate income tax and state premium tax compliance, making required tax payments, calculating all corporate income tax provisions, and completing all tax-related accounting entries and reports. Serves as the liaison to ORI on all tax-related matters.
Responsible for supervision of the Tax Analyst position.
- Prepare journal entries to book all periodic (monthly) federal, state, & municipal corporate income tax expenses and liabilities to the general ledger for the Old Republic National Title Group (ORNTG). Also responsible for general ledger account reconciliation and maintenance of all income tax accounts.
- Prepare and submit to Old Republic International (ORI) all required quarterly SEC tax reports (GAAP and statutory basis) for Old Republic Title Insurance Group (ORTIG), and all subsidiaries thereof with separate legal entity reporting requirements.
- Review reconciliations of premium tax general ledger liability accounts and otherwise supervise monitoring of same; monitor monthly premium tax accrual rates.
- Respond promptly to corporate income tax expense or liability account inquires from location managers, as well as ORI and ORTIG management.
- Review and supervise preparation of Federal (Forms 1120, 1120-PC, and 1065), state and municipal corporate income tax returns for all legal entities of ORTIG.
- Determine and monitor state corporate tax nexus.
- Review and approve insurance state and municipal premium tax returns for ORTIG insurance underwriters as well as ongoing regulatory fee filings.
- Supervise and monitor compliance with sales and use tax regulations.
- Prepare tax summary or other tax reports for ORTIG as requested by the ORI tax department.
- Prepare, timely file, and obtain and send payments for all corporate income tax forms as required by tax authorities: i.e. estimated tax payments, extension requests, amended returns, tax elections, and miscellaneous correspondence.
- Evaluate tax impact of any new or modified internal operations, acquisition opportunities, or any new tax legislation.
- Perform tax law research as necessary to resolve corporate income tax issues that arise as a result of tax return or journal entry preparation, or internal inquiries, and provide executive summary of research.
- Monitor compliance with insurance department regulations, tax authority filing requirements, ORTIG finance department policies, and applicable law including Sarbanes-Oxley.
- Prepare annual reports detailing tax implications of personal and business use of company vehicles, as well as business use of personal vehicles.
- Prepare reports requested by, and respond to inquiries from, internal and external auditors.
- Prepare corporate income tax reports and fluctuation analysis as requested for Board of Directors, other management meetings, or in conjunction with other financial reporting requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
At a minimum, the ability to work during regular business hours Monday through Friday. Must be able to work extended hours as duties demand, especially in conjunction with quarterly and year-end reporting. Regular consistent attendance is required, that could include attendance at after hour Company events.
Ability to effectively supervise staff and delegate tasks as necessary.
Ability to accept supervision.
Ability to foster, develop and maintain professional and collaborative working relationships. Must be able to get along with others, i.e., peers, supervisors, and outside auditors and examiners.
Ability to interact effectively and professionally with all levels of management, employees and customers by email, phone and in person.
Must be personable, positive, and a professional representative of the Company.
Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- A four-year degree in accounting, with a minimum of five years related experience preferred, including knowledge of both income tax provision accounting and corporate income tax return preparation. CPA certification preferred but not required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and a strong mathematical aptitude.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple simultaneous projects, and adhere to hard deadlines.
- Continuous attention to detail, and strong organizational skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (in particular Microsoft Excel) and Outlook.
- Tax Manager must also be able to operate inside income tax preparation software.
- Ability to work with confidential information.
- Ability to perform under pressure and be flexible with disruptions throughout the workday.
- Repetitive and continual typing motion is required.
- Ability to prepare and maintain organized and legible workpapers and supporting documentation, keep a current knowledge of applicable accounting regulations, and comply with strict deadlines.
The above statements reflect the principal function and most significant duties of the job, and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that are inherent in the job.
We offer a competitive salary, and excellent benefit package including health, life and disability insurance; paid time off; and retirement plans. To apply, email resume along with salary requirements to: Chris Hiebert
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: If you currently are employed by Old Republic Title (or one of its wholly owned affiliated companies) and you are in your introductory period of employment; you are not eligible to apply for this open position until you are no longer in your introductory period. If your employment status currently is "conditional" subject to written performance deficiencies or conditions for improvement, you are not eligible to apply for this open position until your employment status is no longer "conditional" subject to written performance deficiencies or conditions for improvement. If you have questions, contact your human resources representative.